Thursday, February 23, 2012

Labels

Oh, so much to say about labels.  Should we or should we not label ourselves and others.  I don't think labels in and of themselves are bad things.  They are simply descriptors (word?).  The problem lies in when we a:  don't allow labels to fall off or be replaced, b:  when we think we understand a person because we have labeled them with one or two labels.  We are made up of many many labels, some apply to a big part of us today, but not tomorrow. 

Why did this pop in my head?  Well, very personal conversation I had with a friend last night.  I have decided that I need a replacement for my label "smoker".  And I don't want it to be non-smoker or some other such bullshit, because I do not want nicotine in any way to define me.  But I need to make sure I have a replacement, a replacement for the act, a replacement for the product, and a replacement for the label, and honestly I do not know what it is.

I made it 3 months last time I quit, and I think that like many of the goals in my life, I can push through with will or determination or what have you, but then once the goal is reached, there is nothing there to solidly sit in the "newly made label space".  A precipice to nowhere is at the end of all my goals.  Simply because I dont plan label replacement.  I think this may be one of the reasons that the accomplishment of my goals has always been very very anti-climactic.  A life of disappointment, created by a lack of a label.... interesting thought I'd say.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment